24.2.06

"Jolt" Gum

At the last minute, my sister decided to fly out to D.C. and asked me if I could drive her to Buffy airport. She got a seat on 10:45 plane, thankfully not 8:50 because it would mean I had to leave Rochy around 6am. It was a such sunny morning and I felt fine all way to Buffy airport and dropped my sister off.

On the way back, I started to feel sleepy and I was driving my parents' Buick. The kind that was comfy and smooth ride, not ideal for early morning driving. While thinking twice about falling asleep at the wheel and careen off the road, I did some nosing around in the side compact and spotted "Jolt" gum (caffeine gum). I popped one in and start to chewing, it tasted bit too sweet. What I discovered next was unbelievable, the horrible taste start to fill my mouth and stayed for good several minutes. I never had tasted something so vile and I would rather to chomp down on shrimp than that! I had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't the caffeine that's suppose to keep you wake. They just simply put in ingredients that would snap your eyes wide open in disbelief, thus "Jolt".

I think I would stick to music and sunflower seeds in their shells snack (truckers tend to eat them for awakeness, beside daily dose of coffees' caffeine).

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Wow, my first question was how did you happen to have one of those in your car.

Upon hearing of the name "Jolt gum" I am already imagining the bitter taste - eew.

Christine said...

Doesn’t sound very appetizing :p